Wednesday, July 11, 2007

N. Umpqua


I just recently bit the bullett and bought the spey rod. I just couldn;t deny it any longer:
"I live in Oregon..... what the hell am i doing chasing trout? The rivers surrounding portland are loaded with steelies. Sure I'll make that drive over the mountain for my fix on the D...., camp the met, fish the fall, hike the salmon.... but I want to be spending a majority of my time right near home on some great rivers, swinging a fly, getting skunked, and hopefully one day feel that pull."




I am really shitty with the long rod as of now...... but since I will be making MANY casts between fish I am sure there will be improvement. Jackson sure as hell needs to be giving me a little more room while I fish...... I don;t want to drive one deep into the tail, or ear like I have done before.

Back on track:
So my fiance and I decided to take my poor excuse for skills to the N. Umpqua and go after the summer run. Incredible river. I feel as if Zane Grey himself is looking over my shoulder between each cast. This river is incredible. The sight of it is worth the drive alone. (I might be saying this because I got skunked)



We saw a nice looking summer steelie, swung some traditional flies, drank beer. Both days we were up before the sun, and spent the middle of the day sleeping...... recharged to be back out till dark. We were told to be back in october. N. Umpqua, see ya then.

Jackson's Eye View of the N. Umpqua:

1 comment: