Sunday, March 4, 2007

Spring: First Push.


I got out today, in a much needed sort of way. Since I moved to Oregon I have tried to focus on learning how to catch steelies and leave the trout behind for a while. The steelies have been kicking my ass.....

After getting the skunk on a coastal stream Saturday, I called a friend to see what he was doing..... before I could ask him how he was...I was already agreeing to fish with him on sunday for redsides on the Deschutes. I can't complain.

The weather decided to cooperate and I felt the suns warmth on my face for the first time in months. The fishing was starting to feel a little more forgiving and we had plenty of opportunities. Redsides were caught, and beer got drank.

Here's my boy Wingnut in on a fish:


Damn sun felt mighty good. I was hot...... not cold. Hell yes! Even my BOY Jackson was going NUTS!!!!! Straight up true english Lab style:



Is this a day to go down in the record books???? Nope. But.....the beginning of spring gets rid of my shack nasties!!! The dries were even in effect today... some fish were rising and the BWO's, and the caddis were coming off in strong numbers!!! Attention anglers:
Make sure your boxes are filled, gear is in shape, and calendars are open because the season will be coming into shape before you know it..... shake off the frost, get prepared, and don't let the season pass you by. (I am usually not this positive... especially after trying to learn how to catch steelies, but after a warm sunny day like today..... and the future promise of consistent trout fishing, how could I resist?)

All positive bullshit aside:
The end of my day is described as seen:

2 comments:

Double Haul said...

warm days are a ways away in Va. tomorrow the high is 36, and that's the city temp., not the mountains where i will be. Oregon is the truth.

4 said...

Sr. Jackson, Where is your base camp in Oregon? I'm working on planning some trips hiking/fishing a few of the big rivers with trails and streamside campsites. The McKenzie River Trail, Metolius, N. Umpqua, Rogue, Deschutes etc. etc. etc...

I'm looking to get a posse together now that the trout are happening.