Monday, February 5, 2007

She throws a pretty loop. A tight one.

It should come as no surprise that my greatest memory in life involves fly fishing. Don't be fooled by my rhetoric because this is not a story about fishing, but rather a reflection back to when the earth stopped spinnning for a few hours allowing me to enjoy a life defining moment with a beautiful girl.

Pre-Jackson era, spring break 2005: My friends could not understand why I decided to go on an extended road trip w/ my girlfriend to fish. They would rather go to the MTV infested cancun in search of superficial pleasure. Not me, it was my girl's idea to check out some rivers in Southern VA, TN, and SC. Not gonna argue. We covered it all.... tailwaters, medium sized freestones, and mountain streams with wild jewels. Brookies, rainbows, and browns.


It is still etched in my mind. Burnt inside my head..... the picture weighs heavy and unforgettable. On one of our stops... we chose the Chatooga river in SC. For EARLY spring... (very early) the weather decided to cooperate and the waters were warmed by a long forgotten sun. As we were gearing up, the sun was playing hide and seek with the clouds occasionally illuminating her face. When it finally found a break.... it seemed as if the earth paused in its rotation to give life to the river. We were basking in the sun with no worries about results.

This is not a story of an epic hatch, and numbers of quality fish. Most anglers would store a day like this in the back of their minds leaving space for an episode straight out of fy rod and reel. Their deserving memories might include a tough old gnarly lunker hanging tight to an undercut bank, protected by tiny micro currents, that refused half a box of emergers until it sipped a size 18 spinner on 15 ft 6x.


Our success was not a riddle.... a simple hare's ear under an indicator started off our morning. I was not my usual selfish self. We took turns in a run 5 minutes from where we parked. It was impossible to leave this spot. The smiles on our face were glued and our laughter was unstoppable. Fish after fish, we were amazed at how much will power made up for their lack of size. 3 wt action at its best. The laughter between us stopped occasionally to land fish and spot others. If there was a heaven on earth.... this would be it.


The highlight of the day came when a fish began to rise methodically on the other bank of the river.... I could not make this cast and I doubted our chances because I was worried about putting other fish down by going after this one. She challenged my doubts by taking the 3wt and placing an impossible presentation off the edge of a far rock. Whack! Fish on!

A storm began to roll in and we knew it was time to hit the road and head out. The earth stepped back into rythm and the sun was gone. Our smiles were overrun with conversation and joy. I have never been so happy in my life. This was a message from an angel in disguise. She teaches me something new every day.... enjoy the memories and share them with the ones you love. I will always remember this day.

To the one I love.

2 comments:

Double Haul said...

Deep Thoughts
by, Sir Jackson

Double Haul said...

you write gooder than me